“Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.”
Titus 2:3-5


Sunday, March 2, 2008

CAN A MOTHER’S HEART REALLY LET GO?

by Mizpah




“Then her heart becomes an altar, which holds each burden & care;
AND, nothing moves the heart of God, more than a mother's prayer.”
Mary Carter Mizrany

I became a mother at 19 years old. Young as I was, I had nothing on my sleeves about motherhood except that I was one. Despite my lack of knowledge, by God’s grace, I can say, I have been a good mother albeit I was working ever since I did my best to keep up with my mothering responsibilities.

Allow me to quote a line from a song I so love, “For all that I’ve done wrong, I must have done something right, to deserve…” Yes, to deserve our children. I am a mother of two. God willing, my son, John is turning twenty eight this April and my daughter, Sandi will be twenty this coming November.

Loving them is my life. Taking care of them and their needs are my priority. Literally, I live and breathe for my children. I will sacrifice anything where they are concerned. Since they were born until today, what comes their way, big or small, tears or laughter, failures or victories, significant or insignificant, I am there.

Who can tell me when should mothering stop? Who can tell me it’s easy to let go?

I can just look back at time how worried I was when they got their first vaccination and ran a slight fever; how my heart thumped as I extended my arms waiting for them as they took their first two steps; how excited I was when they attended their first day in school and the pride I donned was when they handed in their first test paper marked with “VG” (Very Good) or 100%; how I grinned from ear to ear as I watched their first calisthenics program in school and how I wanted to smack the face of that little guy who teased him!

Panting for breath, I would run to Lopue’s Department Store after office to get them their lead and mechanical pencils, art papers and glue so they will be marked “complete” for their project requirement; I recall the day I walked liked Mrs. Hillary Clinton when the names of my children were called to receive awards in school; my ears grew like Dumbo the Elephant when I overheard they’ve got a “crush”; I got so excited preparing for their outfits for their prom night and made sure they smelled “good”; Giving them their own cell phones was a sight to behold! I remember those nights I waited until dawn to make sure they got home safe and that was not funny!; attending their graduation was like being in the “Red Carpet”; and finding out that they were in a relationship was a thrill!

Soon after, it was preparing résumés for the first work application. The first time my son was called for a job interview, I was at home imagining what questions will be asked. “Will he make it?” inquired my anxious heart. Not before long, my son got his first job! A most memorable time for me was bringing him to Robinsons to get his complete set of wardrobe. “Hey world, my son is a professional!” That was more than five years ago.

These beautiful memoirs are too many to recount yet when I do, they never fail to lift my heart. The Lord has been good! Next month, John is moving to his own home. His future plans…his wedding? Oh, haven’t reached there yet. And my daughter? Well, it’s a joy to dream of our shopping spree when she gets to receive her first pay. However, she just made clear to her Pap and me that she will be claiming her full independence the day right after her college graduation next year.

They may be both adult persons in their own right, both assertive and secure to take their place in this tough world yet, they would still answer to our call of “My baby!” If they’re free, weekends would mean the four of us feasting over our special Sunday lunch after church and watching DVD movies for our night together, munching on our favorite midnight snack. A real treat for us is still being able to stay in bed, snuggle close and tickle each other ‘til we scream with glee to our hearts delight.

Now, who can tell me what “letting go” means? Can a mother really “let go” of her children? When can she start letting them go?

I know, I must. I know I should.

On my own, I can’t.

With Jesus, I can. With Jesus, I am.

“A MOTHER HOLDS HER CHILDREN’S HANDS FOR AWHILE – THEIR HEARTS FOREVER.”

No comments:

Search the Bible

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page

Apples of Gold Ministries