“Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.”
Titus 2:3-5


Wednesday, February 20, 2008

“INHERITANCE”

by Mizpah



“The LORD is the portion of my inheritance and my cup;
You support my lot.
The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places;
Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me.”
Psalm 16:5-6

Real Life:
While most of the people were excitedly looking forward to their evening rendezvous last February 14, I found myself attending two burials that day. With our two children off to their own escapades, my husband and I decided to enjoy a quiet evening at home instead over a yummy Calea chocolate cake and a “mestizo” chili con carne.

I woke up early the next morning. As I was spending time with the Lord, He brought back to my mind the words spoken during the eulogy. It was from the youngest daughter of “Lola Pat” as April, my friend would fondly call her grandmother. Fighting her tears, she said, “Mom, I will surely miss you but I will always have you with me wherever I am, even as I work. I will always smell you every time I bake the delicious apple pie you taught me to make…” I really don’t know what exactly made those words touch my heart. It must have been my desire to emulate the quality of life that Lola Pat left behind her family and the people who surrounded her. Sad yet beautiful! Though she may be gone, her legacy will live on forever. Oh, I wish I can be like her!

That surely got me thinking. What about me? What if the Lord calls me “home” today, what legacy am I leaving behind? What have I prepared for my children?

As mother to two wonderful, precious children, I know I should, but what in the world could I possibly leave behind? What am I working on that will be made ready for their use in case I die? What inheritance will my husband and I give them to afford security and stability for their future? What do I have in my hands? Helplessly, I said, “nothing, Lord…nothing!”

Then, the Holy Spirit gently tapped my heart and said, “OF COURSE, YOU HAVE! Remember the promise the Lord gave you in Numbers 18:20, ‘You shall have no inheritance in the land [of the Israelites], neither shall you have any part among them. I am your portion and your inheritance among the Israelites.’? The Lord Himself is your portion. The Lord Himself is your inheritance! How could you have easily forgotten ?”

Lifting my head out of my sullen mood, I said, “Yes, Oh, Yes! I remembered!”

Indeed, I have an inheritance to leave behind for my children and they don’t have to wait for my death for them to start enjoying what I have allotted for them.

Each morning as I bring myself before God, I pray, “Lord, may my life be the “inheritance” my children will live on today. I leave them…

…the joy of loving you with all their heart, soul, and strength;
…the fear of you, Lord which will protect them and give them wisdom;
…the gratefulness to have been forgiven; the graciousness to give the same;
…the generosity and compassion that will extend love to those in need;
…the value of building authentic and deep relationships that will keep them;
…the power of prayer that will bring them through any test and trial;
…the love for your Word that will teach them to hold on to every
promise you’ve made;
…the choice to remain honest and not to let go and compromise even when the whole world taunts and jibes at them;
…the contaminating laughter that wipes the doldrums and stress of their day;
…the courage to cry when they feel like giving up and abandon themselves in realization that it is only in you that their soul can rest;
and…
…the faith that confidently declares, You, Oh, God are my portion, my inheritance and my reward!

WHAT AN AWESOME PRIVILEGE TO LEAVE THE FOOTPRINTS OF MY LIFE TO YOU, MY CHILDREN, AS GOD BRINGS YOU THROUGH TODAY UNTIL ETERNITY. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!

To Ponder Upon:
Your life is the best legacy you can ever, ever leave. What are you working on today? What’s top on your list? Your career? Your business? Your ambition?

PRAYER:
I know, Father, that my life will continue to heap more and more blessings as I receive from you each day. Empty me, Lord that I will always have my hands open to receive from you. I thank you for giving me the Lord Jesus Christ, the best inheritance ever! What more can I ask? I will never be able to thank you enough. I love you. In Jesus Name, I pray…Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear friend, I miss you and our sharing times together ... and I was misty eyed as I read this post. It's great to reconnect this way, it's as if we were face to face once more, sharing precious lessons.

Search the Bible

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page

Apples of Gold Ministries