“Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.”
Titus 2:3-5


Tuesday, February 26, 2008

“Just Before I Sleep”

by Mizpah


Pap, is it all right if I ask these funny questions?

Why did you choose to give Jesus Christ poor
parents like Mary and Joseph?

If I were you, I’d have picked the richest family,
say, a Roman official at par with King Herod, if not,
at least his equal.

Why did you choose a stable of barn animals
for Jesus Christ’s delivery room?

If I were you, I’d have chosen the best and most modern
hospital for him. Was there one that time?

Why did you choose the acrid stench of animal
dung to welcome his birth?

If I were you, I would not have allowed him to inhale
any unsanitized air around him

Why did you choose a feeding trough to make do
for a crib and hay for his mattress?

If I were you, I’d have the most beautiful baby’s room
waiting for him with the most expensive crib and bolts
of linen cloth ready for his diapers and blankets.

Why did you choose obscurity rather than
renown regarding his birth?

If I were you, I’d have posted his birth announcement in every newspaper.
I’d have the most influential people invited when
I present and dedicate him at the temple.

Why did you choose poverty over affluence?

If I were you, I’ll bring him up with all the comfort and ease.
I’d have him ride a chariot rather than a donkey.
After all, I can afford.

Why did you choose suffering as his destiny?
Why the hard way over the easy one?

If I were you, I’d have planned for him a life with all its pomp and gaiety.
The accomplishment, wealth, and fame this world can give him.

Oh, Father, why are you so different from us?
Why are your thoughts not our thoughts?
Your ways not our ways?

“What is man that you are mindful of him,
the son of man that you care for him?”

“My beloved daughter, do you really want to know why?”

Because I love you very much.

Thus, in the little town of Bethlehem...that one silent night…
the royal birth of God’s Son tiptoed quietly by…
as the world slept.*

Intently looking at his eyes filled with love, I am pacified.
My questions answered.
My heart hushed.
I’ve fallen asleep.

“But I have stilled and quieted my soul;
like a weaned child with its mother,
like a weaned child is my soul within me.”
Psalm 131:2

*Moments with the Savior by Ken Gire

No comments:

Search the Bible

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page

Apples of Gold Ministries