“Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.”
Titus 2:3-5


Monday, February 4, 2008

What Matters More

by $aMsUng




Doing homework used to be uncomplicated. All we needed were papers, a writing pen, a calculator and textbooks for reference. Words that were beyond our comprehension, we looked up in the dictionary. I remember lugging around two huge volumes of The Oxford Universal Dictionary Illustrated, A – M, N –Z. And if I really don’t get it or am just too plain lazy, I’m quick to call up a friend and ask for answers. If not, I go to school early the next day and copy (thanks, Belski, I wouldn’t have made it through high school without you). But my daughter Kolin, my gulay… she’s so smart! She has somebody who works her fingers to the bone for her. Projects, research, reaction papers, you name it, she gets it done ahead of sked…BY ME!!! I know, I know…I’m not doing her any favor by doing practically all her school works. But…hehe…would you believe I’m enjoying myself? I have just learned to copy/paste middle of last year, courtesy of the aforementioned and she has taken full advantage of my new knowledge. Taught me a couple more tricks and she had me eating out of her hands. It’s so amazing how much we can do just by surfing the web. A little complicated than what I was used to and a bit more than I could grasp, but I’m getting there, slow by slow. Click, tap, tap, tap, scroll, search for the right topic, copy, paste, search for image, again click, copy, paste, print and voilá! The work is done. All these in one sitting! What happened to the zooming around looking for a ruler, a pen that doesn’t blot, a calculator that actually works, or transporting heavyweight dictionaries? Because of technology, at least 500 calories that used to get worked off in a normal day now go into permanent unwanted space.

Ngee... I make it sound like I do everything for her except take her place in school, but nah, I help her out every now and then, give her a head start, then she’s on her own. Not all Moms would probably agree with me, leaving them to fend for themselves has its benefit. However, I would like to share with you an inspiring message I received from a friend:

"I am glad that you are enjoying the time you spend helping your daughter with her homework. I think what makes it more satisfying is that you are having quality time with her. Children are hard to please and it’s difficult to get hold of their full attention. With activities like what you are doing you get to know how your child is doing and how she’s using her social skills in school, direct from her own mouth without having to ask her. Sometimes children are intimidated by all sorts of questions but with simple conversations while doing their homework, they open up easily with nary a question on your part. But honestly I am really amazed by the dedication you are giving to your daughter. Nowadays, many Moms are so busy they don't even have time to attend PTA meetings, much more help their children with their school works. I am sure your daughter will become a mother like you, she will remember each moment you spent with her. Memories are priceless, these are your only solid inheritance to her no matter what may happen to her physically, financially and emotionally. So good luck...believe me you are doing a very noble thing and your daughter will always remember this for the rest of her life...be blessed and take care…”

Though Kolin may not fully appreciate the labor of my love, rationalizing that it is my job to help her with every little thing, someday she will, and she will remember the times we spent together, thus making the memories worth all the effort. It’s what I call my investment in the future.

No comments:

Search the Bible

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page

Apples of Gold Ministries