“Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.”
Titus 2:3-5


Monday, March 3, 2008

REVELATIONS VII

by Proverbs 31 Woman


KNOWING GOD’S WILL BY GODLY COUNSEL

“If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously
to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.
But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt,
because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea,
blown and tossed by the wind.
That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord;
he is a double-minded man, unstable in all he does.”
James 1:5-8 (NIV)

Bible Passage: Exodus 18

Real Life:
The day when I sought God’s face at my own Mt. Sinai experience, one among many vital instructions was to seek for godly counsel.

The book of Exodus, in chapter 18 reiterates Moses’ experiences with his father-in-law, who gave him wisdom with his affairs for he was submerged beneath the numerous needs of the Israelites that his burden grew to such proportions “laboring himself from morning until the evening”, everyday (Ex. 18:13).

I have to admit, I was enslaving myself to work hard so I could fulfill my goals and dreams! With good intentions, I was doing it well. Aside from being a full time mother and wife, I was likewise a full time nursing student and a volunteer church worker, juggling myself in between. There was very little room to seek God for directions. By the time the alarm strikes in the morning, I was on my feet ready to face the day’s battle. And by the time I was to lay my head down to sleep, I was just too tired to even think of praying.

After reading the chapter, I was just prompted to see my father-in-law. I really don’t have that kind of a relationship with him but that day was marked by God for our meeting. When I arrived at his home, he looked at me, didn’t say much yet he knew why I was there. All I did was cry. He stood there, didn’t know what to do for he is not much of an affectionate person but his encouragment was more than words can say. I remember him saying, “Move on. If you have to take the exams all over again, or even a hundred times, just go and do it.” He wrapped his arm around my shoulder and felt his blessing. That was all I wanted to hear… his blessing of encouragement.

Why did God instruct me to seek advise from others? The Holy Spirit uses godly counsel from godly people to help us discern God’s will. Godly counsel means, godly counsel, not good opinions from nice people! Godly counsel comes from God which means that a godly counselor is one who knows the Word of God, is spending quality time with God in prayer, and is living a godly life. I have learned three things from this lesson:

1. Godly counsel helps us learn from the mistakes of others.

I am so blessed to be surrounded by godly people in my church. During my lowest point, they were there when I exhausted my heart with my story. My pastor never failed to give me bits and pieces of encouragement and wisdom at the time I needed the most. My mentors, Mizpah and Crown of Glory. Their lives are living examples of God’s faithfulness and my small group of moms and wives, they listened…. and they imparted godly counsel.

“If you find that you need specific counsel, seek out a godly person who is an expert in that area or who has experience in the very circumstances in which you find yourself. Follow the suggestions that are based upon God’s Word. None of us do well in walking through life alone. We need to be in close communication and association with other people who believe in Christ Jesus, are studying God’s Word, and are seeking to follow Christ daily. We need to spend some time with people who have been through experiences that we are facing. We also need to spend time with people who have succeeded in an area of life in which we would also like to succeed. We need to talk things over with them, learn from them, and receive their wise counsel.” -Walking Wisely: Charles Stanley, 103.

2. Godly counsel gives us a godly perspective.

“Nearly every king mentioned in Scripture relied on advisers to share their wisdom in difficult situations. Moses spoke with his father-in-law. David and Solomon turned to their trusted counselors when in need. In the early church the believers looked to the disciples for counsel. Even Paul had those he could turn to for wisdom. First it was Barnabas, and Paul was also willing to listen to the leadership of the church in Acts 21:20-25.” -Dr. Bruce Waltke: Finding The Will Of God, 112.

3. Godly counsel helps reveal our hidden motives.
“Plans go wrong with too few counselors; many counselors bring success.” Proverbs 15:22

We often cannot see God when we are just too busy doing our own agenda. Godly counsel points out our hidden motives by exposing it gently for correction to take place leading us to the right path. They can see things we cannot see and discern God’s guidance we often cannot fathom.

The book of Proverbs has a rich collection of verses regarding seeking godly counsel:

“Let the wise listen and add to their learning, and let the discerning get guidance.”
Proverbs 1:5

“For lack of guidance a nation falls, but many advisers make victory sure.”
Proverbs 11:14

“Get all the advice you can and be wise the rest of your life.”
Proverbs 19:20 (LB)

“The way of a fool seems right to him, but a wise man listens to advice.”
Proverbs 12:15

“Wisdom is found in those who take advice.”
Proverbs 13:10

“Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed.”
Proverbs 15:22

“Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise.”
Proverbs 19:20

“Make plans by seeking advice…”
Proverbs 20:18

“The pleasantness of one’s friend springs from his earnest counsel.”
Proverbs 27:9

Prayer:
“Lord, I thank you for Your advise through these godly people in my life! Their words bring encouragment and life. I know in my heart that they are not there by mistake. Bless these people Lord. I pray that You will increase their ministry so they can bless others more, just as I was ministered by You through them. In Your name Jesus, Amen.”

No comments:

Search the Bible

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page

Apples of Gold Ministries