“Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.”
Titus 2:3-5


Monday, March 17, 2008

The Woman in Proverbs 31.... Is she for real?

$aMsUng

“A good wife is hard to find, she is worth more than rubies. Her husband trusts her completely. She likes to work with her hands, looks for wool and flax and brings food from far away. While still dark she prepares food for her family and servant girls. She inspects and buys a field and plants a vineyard. She works with energy, her arms are strong. Her lamps burns late into the night. She makes thread with her hands and weaves her own cloth, keeping her family warm in winter nights. She helps the poor and the needy. She is respected by the people. She looks forward to the future with joy. Her children speak well of her and her husband praises her.”

"We’re all living in the shadow of that infamous icon, The Proverbs 31 Woman, whose life is so busy I wonder, does she have time for friendships, for taking walks, reading good books? Her light never goes out at night? When does she have sex? Somehow she has sanctified the shame most women live under, biblical proof that yet again we don’t measure up. Is that supposed to be godly – that sense that you are a failure as a woman." An excerpt taken from the book, Captivating by John and Stasi Eldredge

I may not be the epitome of a Proverbs 31 Woman pictured in the Bible, but I believe I am worth more than rubies too! My husband trusts me…completely! I don’t do hard labor with my hands, don’t even like to garden, but hey! Buying wool from Australia and flax from Egypt or Turkey would cost him an arm and a leg. So I just buy clothing from the rack. It’s cheaper, practical and saves him tons of money indeed!

Our servant girls (doesn’t that just sound a lot better than merely saying cook?) prepare our meals but I make sure they also eat well. I help the poor and the needy, as much as my budget would allow. My light definitely burns late into the night. It’s 2 am and I cannot just go to bed without defending my admirable and not so admirable traits. But who says it has to be dark? Tsk, tsk, John and Stasi, you have much to learn.

I look forward to my silver belle years with joy now, yet still in the process of learning how to age gracefully. I have time for my friends, time to read a good book and watch a movie every now and then. My daughter describes me as “barbaric” (actually, she means cruel). But she's young... and what does she know??? (justifying..... :)

Hmmm…my husband? As long as I exercise regularly, take my vitamins, eat my veggies, stay away from Babes…I’m good! That’s as much compliment I’d get from him nowadays. I don’t consider myself a failure. Just being there for my dear family and having found my niche in my beloved Children’s Ministry, I must say, I live a fulfilling life, serving the Lord in the best capacity I can.

Har-har! I’m taking this too literally. I may not be the archetype of a good steward, but I simply refuse to feel guilty...

So to all women out there, whatever you’re going through… be it for bitter or worst, in joy or in sorrow, or simply stressed out from holding up as models of femininity in our community, just remember, God created us differently. Our essence and purpose in life are distinct from each other. We can’t all be the Bible's Proverbs 31 Woman… so let’s just do the best we can, enjoy the role God has given us and be wonderfully blessed!!!

No comments:

Search the Bible

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page

Apples of Gold Ministries