“Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.”
Titus 2:3-5


Sunday, February 3, 2008

Abraham-I

By Crown of Beauty


CROSSROADS
This is just a few meters away from our Maejo U. flat in Sansai, Chiang Mai.
Crossroads remind us of the many choices we need to make each day. Which way, Lord?
"Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, 'This is the way, walk in it.'"
(Is. 30:21, NKJV)

“So Abraham rose early in the morning and saddled his donkey,
and took two of his young men with him, and Isaac his son;
and he split the wood for the burnt offering,
and arose and went to the place of which God had told him.”
(Genesis 22:3, NKJV)

Isaac was the son of promise. I’m sure Abraham didn’t understand why he was being asked by the very same God who made the promise, to offer “your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love” as a burnt offering.

But Abraham was a man of faith, and faith is tested, proven, and rooted in obedience. I am amazed at the depth of this man’s faith that makes him willing to obey and let go of his only son Isaac. Without a murmur, without a complaint. Just a yes.

How much faith was needed before he could confidently say to his menservants, “Stay here with the donkey, the lad and I will go yonder and worship, and we will come back to you.”

Look how tenderly he responds to Isaac’s question:

Isaac: My father!

Abraham: Here I am, my son.

Isaac: Look, the fire and the wood, but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?

Abraham: My son, God will provide for Himself the lamb for a burnt offering.

What guarantees did he have? What kind of faith did he possess that he could speak about such matters so matter-of-factly? Tears well up in my eyes as I imagine this conversation between father and son. Here he was, very close to losing his own son. And he speaks so gently, so softly.
Then in just a few more minutes, Isaac himself realizes the truth: he was to be the burnt offering. At the moment of realization, Isaac had no other choice but to hold on to his father’s faith.

At this point, both father and son had nothing, but faith that God will act. Did Abraham embrace his son before tying him up and putting him on the altar? I’m sure he did. Did Isaac struggle? Most probably.

We women want to know details like those. But the Bible is silent and highlights instead the kind of faith that Abraham, and Isaac, demonstrated at a crossroads in their life.

We are familiar with the rest of the story. As Abraham was about to slay his son, God did provide a ram caught in a thicket by his horns. And in this place of painful obedience, Abraham’s life took a turning point. So real was Abraham’s encounter with God that he called the place, “The Lord Will Provide.”

In this place of provision, when he thought he was facing a dead end, his faith was rewarded. And God speaks to him these awesome words of blessing: “Because … you have not withheld your son, your only son – blessing, I will bless you, and multiplying, I will multiply your descendants as the stars of heaven and as the sand which is on the seashore, and your descendants shall possess the gate of their enemies.” (Gen. 22:16-17, NKJV)

Real Life:

I find myself face to face with hard choices. To give up, to let go, to give in. To offer as a sacrifice what I hold dear and precious in my life. To say, “Yes, Lord,” even if I don’t understand. Even if deep inside of me, I’d rather not. Asking God to give me the grace, and the gentle strength, to yield. But I know my faith has to be broken before it can be proven strong. Faith is just a handle. It is the object of my faith that matters.

And though I know the rewards of faith are real: blessings of faith, multiplication, and possessing the gates of my enemies (vindication), there is no substitute for the greatest reward of all. God Himself.

Action Step:
What difficult situation are you facing right now? Do you hear yourself asking your heavenly father, “My Father, where is the lamb for a burnt offering?” What is His tender reply to you?

Prayer:
“My Father, I don’t always understand, or see the end of the road, but you are a God who can be counted on. When I have nothing to hold on to but my meager, mustard seed faith, I ask you to open my eyes and reveal to me options I never thought possible. Above all, lead me closer to your heart. You’re all I want.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For me, crossroads is a time of great awakening - a time when my spirit demands to be heard and rises from the noises of everyday life. Midlife Transition as it seems, I call it, Midlife Transformation.
I pray the same prayer for myself, Crown of Glory. I guess this is a tough time for me in my life's journey. Yet, I believe that as long as He is all I want, nothing will be too difficult to conquer for the battle is not mine, but His! Maranatha!

Search the Bible

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page

Apples of Gold Ministries