“Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.”
Titus 2:3-5


Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Servanthood

by Proverbs 31 Woman!
TRUE GREATNESS IS NOT DEFINED BY WHAT WE GET BUT BY WHAT WE GIVE.
Bible Study passage: John 13:1-20

Something to think about:
- Who are people who have modeled a lifestyle of service for you?
- In what ways are ou serving others today?
- What gets in the way of servanthood for you?

Lessons for life:
When Jesus taught His disciples the true meaning of greatness, He taught with a towel and a basin. He washed their feet - the duty of a house servant.

We live in a competitive and self-aggrandizing world. Examples of humility, kindness, helpfulness, and caring for others first - servanthood - are hard to find.

Great is the reward, the sense of purpose, the self satisfaction of one who follows the Master's example.

Real life confessions:
Being an organized person, I'm almost always doing the Martha role: planning, preparing, cooking, setting up, and cleaning up for activities I am involved with. Most often, may it be affairs of family, friends coming together, or church ministry, I rarely take on a Mary role of mixing and mingling when there's a big "thing" coming.

Recently, christmas has taken over me. I had visitors coming to visit, relatives spending the holiday season with us. I have been cooking, cleaning and just doing about anything to keep the house in tip top shape. Often, I cannot help but feel the sourness when I see the kids and friends sit, laugh and just having a wonderful time while I am doing the dirty work around the house. "Why can't I be doing that instead of all this boring and hard work? I hear myself thinking." This negative feeling was painful, and I knew it grieved the Lord, for it grieved me as I see myself reacting in such an angry way.

In one of the dinners I have hosted at home, one guest came up to me and said, "I have enjoyed this Christmas dinner you have prepared for us. It's more than what a 5-star restaurant can offer. Thank you for sharing it with us."

I was reminded that God made me the way I am - a Martha .... and it is a blessing. People may not notice the details of a well-run event, but God does. He sees everything and rewards us out of our sincere motives to serve others.

And do you know what? I have found that I can still listen to another and speak words of friendship and encouragement while my hands are in the sink, washing dishes!

Prayer:
Thank you, God, for sending Jesus into my life and heart with the gift of salvation. Help me to honor that gift through service to others.

No comments:

Search the Bible

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page

Apples of Gold Ministries