“Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.”
Titus 2:3-5


Friday, January 25, 2008

Traffic Light

Weekend Featured Article
by Mizpah


“This day… I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live and that you may love the LORD your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him. For the LORD is your life…”
Deut. 30:19-20


Real Life:
Our house is approximately 35 minutes away from the place I work. Ever since we moved to our new residence four years ago, I knew that if I wanted to get to my work at 8:00 in the morning, I have to be on the road at 7:15. Any slight deviation would mean I’d be late.

I once read a saying which goes, “Insanity means doing the same thing all over and over again yet expecting a different result each time.” Well, I may refuse to admit it but that just describes my plight almost every morning.
Fully aware of my time constraint and donned with my fresh resolve each morning to do it right, guess what? I still end up leaving the house at quarter to eight. With all my nerves wrung with stress, I would still hope that I’ll get there on time. Of course, I would always be late. Subjected to this self-inflicted irritant, I just can’t seem to correct it! Now what would you call that?

To add to that, here’s something I noticed! From Monday to Friday, I travel the same route and I would pass by 4 traffic lights. Believe me and call it coincidence! Eighteen out of twenty lights would be RED and that meant staying on the road for another minute or so for every red light. The last one I timed took almost three minutes. I would imagine the traffic light saying, “she’s coming, I’ll turn red!” I think those red lights were picking on me! I would look at it with irritation and impatience seething from my eyes. I lose!


Accepting my defeat, this got me to think about my regular morning bouts. What’s the problem? Where is the problem? Of course, I know the problem! It’s me and my inability to choose the right thing I know I should do and continue to do the wrong I know I shouldn’t do! If this is what INSANITY is all about, I think I fit in the description!

This I realized. For the few times that I would be able to make it on time, I remembered that I enjoyed the long trip. I love looking at other cars pass by. I relish sharing a thought or two with God. I would look at the people walking on the road. I did not mind traffic lights. And if ever I did look at them, I thought they were always GREEN and if at times they’d be RED, I wait ! After a little while, I’ve reached my destination. I was on time. I made it!

So, then what’s with traffic lights? Well, I think this is how I am with God. Many times, I find myself doing the same things that I know would bring me the same difficulties. I know fully well that I will be reaping the same consequences if I continue to insist on doing them all over again. Yet, I do it! Passing through the RED lights God would afford me on the road of life, I would look at them with disdain and find myself going straight ahead until I get to the place of my stubbornness. I lose!

The times when I would obey God, I walk through the day as it unfolds before me with peace and joy. I would look at life with a GREEN light of God’s presence, power and provision. I seem just to glide through it. If at any point I may see a RED light, I can stop, sit down, and wait until the light turns green again! And on my feet I go. I made it!

Action Step:
As you wake up each morning and move on to the minutes of the day, ask the Holy Spirit to reveal to you the areas of your life that seem to continuously bring you down. They might be a product of your own stubbornness. Move out of that insanity and move out quick!

The road of life may be bumpy at times but when you’re traveling with God , you’ll enjoy the ride whatever the traffic light may be. RED or GREEN, YOU WIN!

Prayer:
Heavenly Father, I thank you for the destination you have prepared for me. As I journey each day, I pray that your light will always be before me to guide me and hold me and bring me back in case I stray. In Jesus’ Name I pray, Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mizpah, Thank you for reminding me that we do need to stop and be still and know God on red lights, absorb His instructions and prepare on yellow lights and go with the Spirit on green lights. This simple illustration proves that God will always guide us through our life journey and we will never get lost because His way is always perfect! God bless your heart, sister!

Anonymous said...

told you to walk, then you won't be so harassed beating all those red lights! it's also good exercise for you, which you so badly need. when have a ever given you bad advice, my friend?

Search the Bible

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page

Apples of Gold Ministries